Thursday, January 20, 2011

Napa vs. Bordeaux tasting at Esquin

Esquin, a wine shop in South Seattle, hosts free tastings every Thursday night. Tonight's theme was 'Napa vs. Bordeaux.' Now, those of you who know me and my wine tastes know that my preference is New World (domestic) wines. However, I try to keep an open mind as I taste. The selections were as follows in order of tasting. My favorite from each group is highlighted in bold.

Bordeaux:
2009 La Croix Du Duc $9.99
2000 Chateau Ampelia Cotes de Castillon $12.99
2006 Chateau Greysac Medoc $17.99
2006 Pipeau Saint Emillon Grand Cru $26.99

Napa:
2007 Anabella Merlot $12.99
2008 Turnbull Red Wine $17.99
2004 Atalon Cabernet Sauvignon $23.99
2006 Ramey Claret $25.99

The Bordeaux wines were mostly dry, with aromas of cherry and overall earthy tones. The Pipeau Saint Emillon Grand Cru was the standout for me, with a very earthy nose,  nice red berry flavor, and a long finish.

The Napa wines were all great values for the price, with fruit forward flavors. The Atalon Cabernet Sauvignon is a blend of 98% Cabernet Sauvignon and 2% Merlot. A nice cherry aroma with a hint of vanilla and wood. Very smooth, with a long finish.

The Napa wines as a group were more suited to my taste. No surprise there!

0 comments: